Tuesday, March 16, 2010

The Past Nine Months

As you may have read on facebook, I killed my thyroid. Now you may be wondering "why? why stephanie? what has your thyroid ever done to hurt you?". So, let me explain...

It all started back in September. First, it was shaking hands, then a strangely high heart rate(130-150 resting!),then major hot flashes, no period, dark bags/circles under my eyes, the big D, and losing 10 pounds without trying(awesome). So, I reluctantly made a doctor's appointment. (I have anxiety, and pretty much assume when I go to the doctor that they are going to find out that something is seriously wrong with me, and I'm going to die. But only if I go to the doctor. So, I try not to go. Stupid, I know. ) Anyway, I went to the doctor, after about three weeks of having those symptoms, because I couldn't ignore the fact that something was wrong. My doctor gave me a check up and said that it felt like my thyroid was enlarged. I asked her if i was going to die. Seriously. (side note: I also asked my dentist that once. anxiety sucks.)
So, after blood work and an ultra sound, I found out that I had hyperthyroidism(which explained everything), and I was referred to an endocrinologist. After a thyroid uptake/scan, I was told that I had Graves Disease. If you are like I was and do not know what that it, Graves Disease is when, for some reason, your antibodies turn on your thyroid and start attacking it. I think that is why it enlarges. Then, it tries to fight back, and that's why it is overproducing. The overproduction of the thyroid hormone is what causes the many symptoms. That's Graves Disease in a nutshell.
Although thyroid problems are pretty common, there is not an easy solution to this one. I was given three choices:
A. Thyroid Medication
B. Iodine Radiation to kill thyroid
C. Surgery to remove thyroid

Obviously, the medication seemed like the best, and least permanent option. So, I told Dr.N that I wanted drugs. She informed me that she did not recommend this option, because the drugs have caused liver failure in several cases. To someone whose father's liver is failing, this is pretty bad news. No drugs for me.

It came down to killing my thyroid, or surgically removing it, and I opted for the bloodless, scarless solution.

It is called an ablation, and basically you swallow a pill that your thyroid absorbs, and gradually your thyroid dies. Then, you take synthetic thyroid hormone pills every day for the rest of your life.

It's really not too bad, but here is the downside. We can't try to get pregnant for a year, because of the high dosage of radiation. And, I will probably struggle with my weight for the next several months, to years. Bummer. I REALLy should have lost that baby weight when I had the chance. :)


Although I know that it could be a LOT worse, and I am really thankful that it is completely treatable, it has not been fun to deal with this, on top of everything else going on in my life. I'm really looking forward to this being completely in the past so I can focus on more exciting things like....for example...giving madeline a little brother or sister!

4 comments:

Brazenlilly said...

Wow, Steph, thanks for sharing all this. I can't imagine how stressful this must have been and still is! I'm grateful that you were diagnosed and that there is a treatment, even if it is not at all fun. Madeline is probably loving life as the center of your world and she wouldn't know the diff if she got a sib tomorrow or in 5 years. We'll be praying for you! Keep us posted.

johnsonandjohnson said...

Boo....sorry to hear about all of this. One of my student's mom talked to me about thyroid issues and said that pregnancy can make them worse so I'm glad that you went to the doctor before getting pregnant so that you wouldn't suffer any more! I'm sorry that you have to wait a year to start trying, but hopefully it's all for the best...I hope you are feeling better!

Lisa P said...

Sorry, friend that you are walking such deep valleys right now. I agree that I'm glad you gathered your courage to make it to the doctor and listen to what is going on. Glad you chose the route you chose, and we'll be praying for your strength! And even in your anxiety, you have such humor in your voice. Love it.

Jewels said...

Steph,

I am so glad you updated us on what is happening. I too live with a lot of anxiety and I know that the side effects of this thyroid removal are going to be tough. Hey if you start feeling chubby just come hang out with me. I still need to lose 20lbs so i will make you feel great! I have been praying for your family and will continue to. luv u