Monday, February 23, 2009

Update, Tears, and Advice Wanted



Madeline is seven and a half months old now, and pretty much the sweetest thing ever. I am more in love with her every day. I think she's just about perfect and I love everything about her, but the words that other people usually use to describe her when they meet her are happy and alert. She is so smiley and easy going, and she loves to look at people and make THEM smile. She has started doing something kind of funny lately. If we are out somewhere, like at the grocery store, she will look at someone and start smiling. If they do not look at her, she flaps her arms a bit. If they still do not look at her, she squawks at them, and will continue to squawk until they give her the smiles and attention she knows she is due.

So, I had a few tear jerker moments today. The first was with my grandma. She is 82 years old, and we are very close. She and my grandpa are visiting from Arizona for about a week. Since Madeline was born, they have come out every other month regularly. They absolutely adore Madeline, their first and only great-grandchild. My grandma was holding Madeline today, and she started crying. I asked her what was wrong, and she said they were tears of joy. She said she was just thanking the Lord for allowing her to live long enough to know and love Madeline. Instantly my eyes filled with tears as well, because I too, am so thankful for that. And, I hate thinking about anything BUT her being there with us, watching Madeline grow and learn and love.
The second tear jerker moment was at my parents for dinner tonight. My dad was holding and playing with Madeline, and he was humming a random little song to her. He turned to me and said, " Every time I hold Madeline, I just start singing. She makes me so happy, I just always want to sing when I'm with her." How sweet is that?!

On a different note, I am wondering about food. I would love advice on how and when some of you transitioned from baby food to regular food. I am currently giving Madeline four bottles and two things of baby food a day. I have had a lot of people ask me lately if I have started feeding her regular food., and I've had some people tell me that I should start. So, I'm just curious what some of you moms have done with your kids. Madeline is about 7 and a half months old, has two bottom teeth, and is not quite crawling yet. Should I be starting to give her food besides baby food, and if not now, when do most people start doing that? And what sorts of food do you start with? I'd appreciate any input you want to give.

These are some random pictures I took of Madeline in her high chair with my phone the other day. I uploaded the pictures backwards(again!) which is why her face goes from dirty to clean. :)




8 comments:

johnsonandjohnson said...

Emily was a late bloomer with the "real" food because that is what her pediatrician asked of us.

She didn't really get much until after 9 months. The bottles and baby food were all he wanted for her...

Anonymous said...

I just LOVE that baby!!! I can't wait to hold her again!!! LOVED being with you the other day....I wish we lived closer. As for bbay food, Porter hated it and pretty much just stuck tot he bottle until almost 2 years old....no joke. Gavin only likes 2 things, carrots and avacado...so i feed him one time a day, at dinner with us...the rest of the day he gets bottles, and he is fine with it. Don't stress out about feeding her food...it's mainly just for practice anyway at this age, the real nutrients she needs she is getting from the formula. She will grow into eating at her own pace....take her lead. I think the fat that she eats 2 jars of food a day is great!! She is already ahead of the game!She will probably be a great eater based on that fact! You are doing a wonderful job, mom!! Love, Kel

Alli said...

She is precious!

It is really up to you and Madeline to set the pace and decide what she likes and what she's ready for. There are no "rules" about this kind of thing.

Most doctors will recommend starting to give them cheerios or toast or those Gerber puffs around 7 months just to give them practice picking up the food, feeding themselves, and using their gums to mash the food. I didn't start Sam on puffs and cheerios until after 8 months. He is now 10 months and he loves cheerios, puffs, and toast, and I can occasionally give him a jar of stage 3 baby food (with little pieces of soft pasta or whole peas), but for the most part, he still doesn't care for the texture of table food. If I give him table food, like avocados and bananas, I still have to mash it pretty well.

So, it's really whatever you both are comfortable with. Like Kelly said, it's just practice right now anyway. If you are going to start experimenting with solids, I personally recommend starting with the Gerber sweet potato puffs. They are airy, easy to pick up, dissolve quickly, and most babies love them.

Good luck and make sure to take lots of pictures (to share with us!) once she starts trying to feed herself!

Jewels said...

Stephanie - those pics of Madeline are so cute. I love her hair! I can't wait until Gianna has more hair so I can put it in clips and stuff. I know Gianna is younger but I love giving her the Earth's best Organic baby oatmeal mixed with some formula and sweet potatoes. I just tried peas and she did not like them at all. Do you have a food mill? They are the best you can put things like bananas or avacados and it basically makes them as smooth as baby food.

By the way are you still doing a dream feed? I am with Gianna and am wondering when I will stop.

Lisa P said...

Yep, I agree with the girls. It's really up to you both, as long as you've introduced cereal and baby food between 6-9 months (as a gestational diabetic, this is the age to do it to lower risk of diabetes later in life). But some kids go crazy, even without teeth, and others have full sets of chompers and still have no interest. I introduced everything that was allowable for the stage right away, as adventuresome eating is a big value in our family. All three of mine ate things earlier, and Alexa was done with baby food at 8 months. She threw a fit if it was smooth and creamy--so I put real food in the processor and got it to a chunky, soft consistency. You just never know, but they're pretty clear with the feedback!

So have fun with it, and do take lots of pictures. I wish I had done more of that with food!

Brazenlilly said...

I'm so glad that the tears were mostly tears of joy! It is so clear that she is such a blessing to everyone around her. I love that!

I agree with what everyone said, and i also looked in my "What to Expect the First YEar" book, which is by the same lady who did the pregnancy book. I like having that book around and check it every once in a while for stuff like this. It has good things to look for and try, but isn't too preachy.

I agree that the Gerber puffs that disolve are always a favorite!

Sarah said...

Ahhh, I just LOVE, love, love your sweet, dear family, Steph! It's no wonder dear Madeline is such a happy baby!
As for starting her on more "real" food ... it's true at this point it's mostly practice. You can put a couple of cheerios or puffs on her tray, and she can practice her little pincher grasp (picking them up). She'll let you know when she's ready for more. And funny story: I was such a freak- PARANOID about choking, that I would break Cheerios up into 3 or 4 pieces (each little cheerio!!) ... hee!

Also, do you know how to make your own baby food? It's SUPER easy, and WAY cheaper than store-bought ... especially at this stage, when she's eating much more than just one little jar every day or two! Let me know if you want to know how! ;) (I still use store-bought for meats, and for convenience, but mostly home-made)

Anonymous said...

The sooner you get her started on nachos and beer, the easier it will be for her to party with the big kids at Hope. The occasional doughnut and chocolate milk combo will promote heathy bones and a broad pallet.

I would stay away from carrots and peas, these are my least favorite and might make me puke if I come visit during feeding.

I have some left over girl scout cookies if you want to make a play date for next week to get the ball rolling.

No need to thank me, I'm just glad you have me to help.