Friday, November 7, 2008

Not-So-Sincere Gratitude

Dear Purse Thief,

I would like to thank you for stealing my purse off the back of my chair while I was on vacation this past week in Palm Springs. That was very sweet of you and I truly appreciated it. I don't know if  you realized how much you were helping me by doing this, so I wanted to write you this letter to let you know. 
First of all, I bought that purse and wallet at LEAST two weeks ago, so they were really starting to look worn down anyway. I mean, who wants a two week old purse and wallet that match?! Not me! Thank you for taking care of that for me.
Also, thank you for giving me the opportunity to catch up with SO many people who I have not talked to in SO long. When I called the bank and chatted with Barbara about closing my account, ordering new checks, identity theft, etc, I realized I would never have had that conversation if you had not taken my purse. Then there were my friends at Target, Banana Republic, and Chase credit cards. I hadn't realized that it had been years since I had even spoken with them, but thanks to you, we are all caught up now.
Another thing I want to thank you for is giving me the opportunity to visit some places that I have not been in a while, but have really been wanting to go. First, the DMV. I have had my hands full with a new baby, and have not made the time to go there in quite a while. And, if you hadn't stolen my purse, then I wouldn't need a new license, and who knows when I would have made the time to go down there. I had almost forgotten how much fun waiting in line there can be! So, thank you! Another place I have neglected for quite a while is the social security office. Some people say you should not keep your social security card in your wallet, but I'm so glad I didn't listen to them. Thanks to you, I get a new social security card, and I might even get a new number! How exciting! I don't think I had been to the social security office since Jon and I got married and I changed my name..I guess I've just allowed myself to get so busy. Thank you for leading me back...
I can't forget to thank you for remaining anonymous. Life is so boring when you know everything that's going on, like who has your drivers license and keys. I much prefer this mystery. Every day is a surprise, not knowing if someone is applying for a credit card in my name at that very moment...wondering if my car will still be there when I go outside...it's like a fun game that I'm playing with an invisible person. You know who I am, yet I have no idea who you are. You have all of my information, yet I have none of yours. It's so fun and exciting. Thanks for keeping me on my toes!

As you can see, you stealing my purse meant more to me than you could have possibly known. You may have thought it was just a small thing and I didn't even notice, but know that it wasn't small, and I did notice.  Though I don't know who you are, I will never forget you.

Thanks again,

Stephanie

9 comments:

Brazenlilly said...

OH. STEPH. I am SO sorry! (Excellent blog post, though. I can't believe you thought your writing was not interesting.) I may be a scaredy cat, but I think you should get a new social security number! Keep us posted if you are able to avoid any further bad news!

Anonymous said...

It is so refreshing to see you reacting to such a frustrating situation with such a positive attitude...oh wait..that was sarcasm?!?! Yeah, that makes much more sense!

I am sorry for all of the hassle of this situation.

Becca (look...I commented!)

nabz said...

that is seriously sad that someone took your purse! it's crazy how many things you have to do when that happens and with a new baby! i'm sooo sorry!! :(

Diane Davis said...

horrible situation.
excellent blog post.

edie said...

That's awful, Steph. I'm so sorry you are dealing with that. I must say, your post killed me and I feel bad laughing at such a crappy situation. I hope everything gets cleared up soon and your trips to the DMV will be few and far between. Great post!

The Unlikely Pastor's Wife said...

lol. I am impressed with your postive attitude...I think i would have been cussing out Mr. Purse Thief. :-)

I will say it wasn't me. I think we were sipping smoothies and stuffing cheese fries while swimming when it happened.

what a hassle.

johnsonandjohnson said...

Oh my goodness! That stinks! I am so sorry!

Anonymous said...

Hi Stephanie!
Not sure if you know who I am... but I was at Southlands with you and Jon for a while before I moved to Denver last year to help a plant out here. I just read your blog and loved it! My favorite part about a purse theft is always changing my locks, because now both my keys and address are out there so I'm left waiting for Mr. Anonymous to show up for coffee (or a free TV).

Hope all is well!

Sarah said...

While the situation totally sucks, you are very funny :). Thanks for at least being creative!?