Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Date Night, A Victory, and No We Do Not Want to Buy a Calendar




We went on a date night last night, and it was really nice. We went to ESPN Zone at Downtown Disney to eat, and then walked around and enjoyed the Christmas hustle and bustle. It was a fun night, except for one little thing.

Jon was in a particularly cheery mood because:
1. His Bucs were playing MOnday Night Football. (They are rarely shown on regular tv.)
2. We were watching the game on a HUGE movie screen.(ESPN Zone, a man's paradise.)
3. He could boast that he had just kicked Diane out of the playoffs in Fantasy Football .(Sorry Duckygirl! :))
4. He noticed that his wife was looking particularly stunning in her red scarf.(Ok, not really, I just added that for my sake.)

And, I was in a great mood because it was a momentous day for me. I discovered that, with a little bit of sweat and tears, I can wear my wedding ring again! Hooray for me. Sorry $20 Target ring that gets more compliments than my real diamond. You are now banished to my rights hand ring finger...that is, until the next time my husband knocks me up(can I say that here?) and I need you once again.

Yes, it was a night to be celebrated.

So, there we were, enjoying our dinner, Jon in his glory and me in mine, when someone tapped Jon on the shoulder. We turned around to see who it was, and there stood a gorgeous, naked, blonde girl. "Hi! I'm a Charger Girl for the San Diego Chargers, and we're selling our 2009 calendars to raise money for..." Blah blah blah, I didn't hear the rest. I was too busy staring at her perfectly tan, toned, naked belly that was eye level with us. Oh yeah, she wasn't really naked, but she might as well have been. She was wearing come kind of sparkly bikini, posing as a cheerleading outfit. ( I tried to paste a picture of her, but here is a link if you care to see out uninvited friend. Yes, that's what she was wearing. http://www.chargers.com/charger_girls/2008-2009-squad/kiirsta.htm )

"No, we don't want a Chargers Girl Swimsuit Calendar. Now please go away so that my husband can get the image of your perfectly sculpted abs, and everything else too, out of his mind, and I can go back to celebrating the fact that I managed to squeeze my wedding ring back on my pudgy little hand today." Ok, I didn't say that. But I did turn back around and continue eating without saying a word, as my husband politely told her no thank you.

Jon found the whole thing humorous. He kind of smirked and said, "Well, that's the last thing you expect to see when someone taps you on the shoulder." What he was really thinking was, " Football, beer, Chargers Girl. I LOVE this place."

Whatever. Next date night we're going to Mimi's.

9 comments:

Alli said...

Ugh! The nerve of these girls to come up to men who are sitting there at the table with a woman. I'm sure there were plenty of single guys in the sports bar that night that she could've approached. I don't blame you for being annoyed--that would've ticked me off, too.

Reminds me of the time my coworker went to Oakland for vacation (yeah, I know ... who vacations in Oakland?). John was about 1 month old and she bought him a little Raider magnet with his name on it (very sweet) and bought my husband a Raiderette Calendar (not so sweet). Yeah, my 4-week postpartum belly totally hated her for that. My dear sweet (and SMART!) husband threw the calendar away. :)

Lisa P said...

Steph! I love the way you wrote this! Irritating, and good for you for not saying anything. I have a hard time keeping my mouth shut in those instances.

Jewels said...

Thanks for the great story I needed a good laugh:)

Anonymous said...

Oh, Gosh! That's horrible, Steph! I would have given her the evil eye. I always ask Forrest "Did you think she was pretty" when we see a hot girl and he always finds something bad to say about her like, "um, I really didn't like her nose".....Even though he's probably lying, i appreciate it!!
then he will follow up with, "you are the prettiest girl i know, honey"! See, sometimes lying is a good thing!! Luv u, Kel :)

Sarah said...

I love your writing, Steph! What a hilarious night! And, just for the record, I think it makes you just about the best wife ever to go to ESPN zone on date night, anyway. ;)

Diane Davis said...

yeah, i am a bit bitter that deangelo williams rushed for over 200 yards and kicked my butt.

alli, easy on oakland. ;)

anyways, funny story... you are a good writer.

nabz said...

that is funny! i'm sure it was not so funny at the time, but your perspective on situations always gives me a chuckle!
and that's funny i bought a target ring that looked better then my actual ring that i wore for a while too. :)

Kristi said...

I'm SORRY Steph, but it's my job, and I have to wear the bikini. Please don't be mad at me! :o)

hehehe.

HILARIOUS story. (Almost as funny as imagining me in a bikini!)

And you did look fabulous in your scarf!

Keep having date nights... it's the best thing a couple can do. But next time...maybe play bridge at the convalescent home and get the early bird specials at Mimis. :)

The Unlikely Pastor's Wife said...

hee hee. you're funny steph. My comment would have been....why buy a calendar of hot girls...when he has a live one at home.
uh, bye bye.