Monday, April 6, 2009

Three Years




Jon and I have been married three years this Wednesday. It's really hard to put into words how thankful I am for him, but I'd like to try.
I didn't expect to meet Jon when I did, but I'm so glad I did. It was a really weird time in my life. I was in the process of getting out of an unhealthy relationship, and for the first time in my life, questioning everything I had always believed about God, His goodness, and His love for me. (Not the ideal candidate for a new relationship.)
I'm still not sure why Jon fell in love with me. But I'm so glad he did. Through my relationship with Jon, I have learned about love, trust, acceptance, and grace. I believe that God brought him into my life at the exact right time, even though it didn't seem that way then.
The past three years have been difficult in many ways. Jon has been by my side through it all. He was there when my dad had cancer and went through intense chemotherapy the first year we were married. He happily helped my parents with everything they needed, from moving in a big chair so my dad could be comfortable, to taking my dad to the doctor when my mom and I couldn't. We spent many days and nights at their place, because that was where I wanted to be. I know it was hard, but Jon never made me feel that he would rather be anywhere else but there with us.
Jon was by my side and supportive when I struggled with panic attacks and we had to come home from vacation early instead of going to Lake Tahoe. He didn't make me feel bad; he simply took care of me and wanted me to feel better.
He was a rock, not only for me, but for my family too, when we were told that my sister Becca most likely had a brain tumor and would need surgery. He was calm and strong, and spoke words of truth and encouragement when we we needed them most.
I look back on those times, and truly wonder how I would have gotten through them without this amazing man walking through them with me.
Of course, there have been so many good times, along with the hard. I am proud to say that we have developed a stronger friendship, kindled a deeper passion, and fallen more deeply in love these past three years. We have learned how to fight better, and how to love sweeter. We have gone from a couple, to a family of three, and in that, our love and commitment to each other have been multiplied beyond measure.

I look back on our wedding day, almost three years ago, and thank God. For knowing me and what I needed, loving me unconditionally, and blessing me with an incredible husband. I'm. so. thankful.

Happy Anniversary, Jonnyboy.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I will always be so sad that i missed your wedding. This was beautiful!! Happy anniversary!! I love you!!- Kel :)

johnsonandjohnson said...

so...so...SO pretty! You looked gorgeous and it looked like it was a really pretty location too.

Happy Anniversary!

Jewels said...

That is the same song Mr. F and I had our first dance to. I love it and happy anniversary.

Anonymous said...

Oh baby, I too am so thankful for what God has done in our lives. I never dreamt that I would meet my wife in the first week after moving to SoCal. You dropped into my life and brought passion and love and caring into my dry and selfish existence. You challenge me to be the man God wants me to be and the kind of leader in our home that you and Madeline desire. I don't know what I would do without you, but I do know that I would be a shell of a man in comparison to the fully loved and contented man I am with you. You are my love. You will always be my love. I. am. thankful. for. you! Happy anniversary. - Your Jonnyboy

Brazenlilly said...

Um, OK, HELLO! I was already starting to cry reading your beautiful post, and THEN I read Jon's comment. STOP IT! I'm a mess.

Steph, I'm so glad you wrote this. Between this and the way you casually mention what an involved and proactive daddy Jon is, it helps those of us who don't know him well get to know him better. It also makes me love him because of the way he loves you.

Lyonslove said...

I loved your wedding so much! I will never forget how beautiful you looked! Now you two have this amazing daughter! Happy Anniversary.

Kristi said...

You are such a fun, beautiful couple and I'm so glad you are so happy together.

Yes, your wedding was beautiful, but your life together is even sweeter.

So thrilled for you both. Hugs!!!

Tara said...

After all we've been through together, I'm glad that we both smartened up and found us some really wonderful guys. ;) Your wedding was so beautiful and I was thankful to have been a part of your special day. Happy anniversary!!